There is a growing trend away from giving traditional gifts toward gifting experiences. Building on the same ideas that have grown the minimalism trend, a surprise birthday party it’s a great way to celebrate with an emphasis on connection rather than consumption.
If you are looking for a way to celebrate someone you love with a birthday gift that isn’t just more stuff, think about planning a surprise birthday party or birthday trip at a luxury vacation rental.
How to Plan the Best Surprise Birthday Party
Choosing the Right Location
Choosing a location for a surprise birthday party should keep a few things in mind:
- Conveniently accessible, either within a reasonable driving distance from the guests or near to an airport.
- A climate that’s comfortable during the time of year you are planning the trip.
- Fun things to do nearby.
- A good restaurant, coffee, and/or brewery scene.
One of our favorite picks that checks all of these boxes is Indio. The Greater Palm Springs area has plenty to do, and is only a few hours from anywhere in Southern California. For party guests traveling from out of state, the nearest airport is close enough to pick them up on your way in.
Find the Perfect Luxury Vacation Rental
A luxury vacation rental is key for planning the party. You want a place with space for everyone and amenities that will make it easy to relax and celebrate. The Brooklyn Penthouse has everything you need for a luxurious and comfortable stay, including:
- 5 bedrooms and 4.5 bathrooms
- 40 foot saltwater pool with tanning ledge and lounge chairs
- Outdoor kitchen with Thor BBQ, pizza oven, and more
- Outdoor living space with HDTV
- Lawn games
- Putting green
- Movie theater
- Game room
- Gourmet kitchen
Even before you choose a theme or plan the celebration, you will know that you can count on your vacation rental to make a statement and keep everyone comfortable.
Pick a Theme
While it’s not a must, a theme can take your surprise birthday party planning to the next level. It might be as simple as the number of the milestone birthday, like a 50s themed celebration for a 50th birthday. There might also be an obvious theme you can think of for the guest of honor based on their hobbies, nickname, or another key characteristic.
Consider bringing some simple decor with you, like a balloon arch or a custom cake topper. Another great way to showcase the theme is setting up a backdrop and some props, and grabbing an instant-print camera. Everyone can capture the memories and build a photo album to be a memorable keepsake or party favors.
Create a Guest List
Think about who you would like to invite to this celebration, keeping the guest of honor in mind. It’s usually best to choose either family or a combination of a few friends who jive well together.
At the Brooklyn Penthouse, there is plenty of space for everyone to stay. With 5 bedrooms, even a relatively large group can comfortably stay and enjoy privacy and a totally comfortable sleep environment.
Plan an Itinerary
Even if it’s just a quick weekend getaway, plan an itinerary of fun things to do in Indio. In addition to enjoying the pool, game room, and theater at the penthouse, you can explore the Greater Palm Springs area with some of these ideas:
- Check out a brewery in Indio to try some local beers or even take a tour of one.
- Enjoy some of the great restaurants in Indio, wether you are looking for a kid-friendly place to eat or an upscale restaurant in the area.
- Scope out some of the attractions in the area, like The Living Desert Zoo & Gardens, Desert Theatreworks, or the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway.
Any time of year, with a group of any size, there is plenty to explore in the Indio area.